I always thought I loved fall. The brilliant yellows, oranges, reds, and greens of the trees alwaysamazed me. The brisk air against my cheeks and the chill of the wind as it rustled the dancing leaves was always so refreshing.
But fall this year is so different. It feels like my first fall ever.
...And in a way, it is.
It's my first fall in Logan. And I love it.
Why? Well...besides this...

1) I love getting dressed.
2) I love making breakfast.
3) I love walking in the cold.
4) I love how it gets dark so quickly.
5) I love the dead leaves, and the box elder bugs...
Woah. What? Did I really just say all that? Why would anyone ever love walking in the cold, or watching the sun vanish that early, or seeing the ugly brown leaves on the ground? Let me explain before you discount me as completely crazy.
1) I love wearing warm, high socks with my pant legs safely tucked in around them as I pull my boots on. I love tying my scarves and slipping my arms in a long sleeved shirt. I love doing up every button on my coat. I love feeling warm even when it's so cold.
Because it's fall.
2) I love pulling a sweatshirt over my head and wrapping my blanket around me as I walk up to the kitchen. I love how quiet the house is when I begin my morning routine. I love howwarm my body feels as fresh hot chocolate slides down my throat. I love that it warms my whole body. I love hearing the eggs crackle as they cook on the frying pan. Or the cerealcrunch with every bite. I love that I can hear that.
Because it's fall.
3) I love when my face is greeted with the harsh, cold fall breeze because it makes the warm feel so much better. I love how clean and fresh the air feels as it blows against my cheeks and through my hair. I love when I can see my breath.
Because it's fall.
4) I love when the sun has finally set and it's time to turn on the porch light. Of my house. I love when it's darker outside than in, because I love seeing the temple glowing blocks away from me. I love when it's dark, because that means it is cold. Which means I can turn on my fire. I love my fireplace. I love sitting in front of it and feeling the heat melt my frozen toes all the way up to my frozen nose. I love lighting the candles.
Because it's fall.
5) I love listening to the crunch of the dead leaves under my feet as I walk to class. It makes me feel like a little girl again, and I love that.
I love the box elder bugs all over my door because....
...........oh wait. I lied.
I don't love the box elder bugs on my porch, my door, my floor, my backpack, even my arm in class.....but they are there.
Because it's fall.
But most of all I love my mom. Because it's fall. And my mom loves fall. She cherishes every moment she gets to spend outside, watching the leaves change from green all the way to brown where they then are crunching under her feet.
I think that's where I got it. I've never been away from home during fall, so I've never really noticed how much I love it. Or how much of that love is shared by my mom.
Until now.
Because when I walk into my house, I often think of my home. My real home. Where my mom is. Putting on her red scarf, and buttoning every button on her black coat. Where she mixes her drink (even if it is reliv and not hot chocolate...), and sits in her quiet house. And when I feel the cold breeze against my cheeks and feel it ruffle my hair, I think of her. When she runs. How much she loves that too. Or how she often walks where the leaves have fallen because she loves listening to them crunch under her feet, just like I do.
Because it's fall.
And because she is my mom. And I am her daughter.
And sometimes I am like her.
And that is why I love fall. Because I will always, always want to be like her.

5 comments:
Wow you have such a way with words! I miss fall so so so much! I really need the leaves, I am a fall baby for sure, just like our beautiful mom! Miss you babe!
You two are so beautiful! Wow, I LOVE FALL. I love when it lasts so long like this... without a snowstorm ruining it too quickly. That tree is GORGEOUS. I wish that I lived on an old street with huge, mature, trees. How great. I love the beauties of the earth. They REALLY energize me. The landscape is AMAZING.
The best part about fall is that it is cool- not cold. That's why the fire is fun and the hot cocoa is nice... because your toes aren't about to fall off due to frostbite. LOVE it. And love you. Thanks for coming home for my birthday.
I love mom. I love hanging out with her.
Rach, thanks, wow!. You really do know me well, I never thought you really noticed all those things. You have such a great way of saying it all. Love you so much, and wow, can I please get a copy of that picture so I can remember you when I am sitting alone in front of my fire warming my cold hands and toes? Love you tons.....
I am SO jealous of you right now. (Except for the box elder bug part. Do NOT miss those buggers.) Those leaves are amazing! So beautiful. What a sweet post Rach.
And where would we be w/o our moms and Reliv? :)
That is exactly how I have been feeling every day this fall! Really truly same thoughts. Love this!!
Post a Comment