(Note: highlighted words are "click-able")
Have you ever thought about this song? Maybe. Probably not. I never have. Well, I never had... until yesterday. Now if you know me, or have ever read my blog, I think you know by now that I love rain. And rainbows. For plenty of reasons. Many of which I have talked about before.
But until yesterday I never thought about the lyrics to a song sung by a dainty little girl in a 1939 musical. Shocking I know right? Not really. I mean that was 52 years before I was born. A long time ago.
So what would bring an 18 year old "college girl" thinking about a 1939 classic you might ask?
A package.
A white package.
And so the story goes....
Saturday. November 14, 2009.
2:12 pm.
Weather: smoggy, slightly snowing (flakes the size of BB's maybe?) far from warm, but not unbearably cold.
State of Happiness: much like the weather. Not freezing, but definitely not hot. Not a blizzard, but not quite clear. Not dark, but not sunny. In other words, I wasn't unhappy, but a tiny bit lonely. My roommates had cleared out for the weekend, leaving me to my busy, amazing night filled with huge party plans. (Which consisted of writing a 5 page essay... working on a 3 page study guide... with a chick flick inbetween that I watched...by myself. I know, I know, I'm officially a nerd.)
Status of the week: One of the rougher ones. (Might have had something to do with the fact my ice cream tub was empty...and my hormones were a bit fried... which in turn led the slight problem that none of my jeans seemed to fit anymore...)
Current location: my room. (You know, the one shoved in the very far corner of the basement- completely covered in shade every hour of the day. The one with icicles hanging from the ceiling?)
I was in no mood for makeup, trying on yet another pair of jeans...or in fact trying on anything but sweats.
Mary came running downstairs (as usual) wanting an opinion on her new coat. But before we could get to that....she pulled out a package.
A white package.
With my name written clearly on the front. The return address- Arizona. My brother?
As I slowly peeled off the white wrapping, confusion and wonder filled my head.
How? Why? Do they have me for Christmas? But why would they send it here? And so early? I checked my email before I went any further just to make sure. Nope, not Christmas. Then what?
As I discarded the wrapping on the floor, it revealed the actual box. A tomato box. Homemade. I was amazed already. But as the pink tissue paper fell to the ground, and I looked inside, I couldn't believe what I saw. I pulled out a picture, and tears already filled my eyes. There I stood, my tiny chicken legs and slicked back hair, next to my sister-in-law. The first "in law" I ever had. The one I admired and looked up to so much. The one I still do. And now, even more. But that's not all.
There was a card.
And nail polish.
And lotion.
And lipgloss.
And mascara.
And hot chocolate.
And gloves.
And candy.
And hand sanitizer.
And an envelope with money inside titled "Go do something fun"
And as I opened that crisp pink card, and read the words dancing across the page, the wonder was replaced with an overwhelming feeling of love. And for a moment, I felt like that dainty little girl singing the lyrics to a classic 1939 musical.
And wake up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me.
I felt like clicking my heels three times and whispering "there's no place like home.." because for that instant there really was no place like home. No one like family. Like her.
My sister-in-law.
That small act of kindness really said something about her character. I have seen her do a lot of things.
I watched her as she came out of the temple the day she married my brother.
I watched her face light up when I held my first niece for the first time.
I've seen her creativity and love for her children as they grow.
I have laughed to the point of tears as we all sat and listened to her tell hilarious stories.
And through it all, I have loved her more and more.
So no, I may not be Dorothy singing an all time classic. But that Saturday afternoon I really was somewhere over the rainbow. Somewhere where the clouds really were far behind me. Where my troubles really did melt like lemon drops.
That's where I found me. All because she took the time to think of me. Maybe it was simple to her. But that box, that small white package, was something I will never forget.
4 comments:
Okay Rachel, now I am bawling. I don't even know what to say in response to this post! I am so glad you liked the package. I wish we were closer and I'd take you out to lunch and go get pedicures. (And I wouldn't even have to tell Matt...) I love being your sister. I hope you always know that.
xoxo
Wow I am a little behind on your blog! What great posts though. That last picture of Noah and Leah is so cute, I laugh out loud every time I see it! I can't wait to be with you, one week and counting! Warm weather here you come!
So sweet Rach, you really know how to tear at the heart strings and get the tears flowing. Glad you have a sister who is in tune when your mom isn't. Didn't even know you were having a bad day. What kind of mom is that?
Love you tons. Really really really proud of you. YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS HUH?
Can't wait for next week. This has been a long time away..... stinky.
So true! I think we ALL feel like that, like she is a sister who has always been missing, like she makes us more complete. Isn't it great!
Post a Comment