Things that bring you something much more amazing. Much more powerful, and fulfilling.
Things that bring you joy.
Like a new mother hearing "momma" for the first time.
Or a grandmother watching her grandchild race into her outstretched arms after months of separation.
Things like seeing that 4.0 at the end of an impossible semester, or the 10-pound-less weight on the scale after months of exercise.
Or, in my case, things like the birth of a child...or two.
In the last two weeks I have felt more joy than I could have ever imagined.
I felt it as I watched an anxious older brother press his forehead against the glass as he whispered to his tiny new siblings on the other side. I was filled with joy as I saw him race to his mothers side and hug her legs as tight as he could.
I felt it when I looked at my sister holding her son and kissing her daughter.
I felt it as I looked at my own mother, and realized how much she loves me. And how much I love her.
I felt it when my sister waited an extra two hours just so she could see me for ten minutes.
I felt it when my grandma told me about her life.
I felt it when my niece looked straight in my eyes and said "I yuv you wach."
But most of all, I felt it as I took these two precious miracles in my arms for the first time.
They were so fresh, so tiny, so new. I was overwhelmed with joy, and love for them.
And as I sat holding my niece and nephew for the very first time I realized why. I thought about what it took to get them here.
I thought about trials. I thought of my sister and the months and months of chemo treatments. And I realized why these two miracles brought so much joy.
They were the product of an incredibly difficult trial. They were a reminder that there is always joy in overcoming trials you might not think you have the strength to move past.
They were right there, in my arms, showing me I could do it.
Because she did.
And if my sister could overcome months of devastating chemotherapy, then I could deal with the stress of two midterms in one week. I could face the fourty pages of reading, or the five page essay.
Because she did it.
She endured, and was blessed with miracles beyond belief.
And I knew that. Right then. As I kissed their precious cheeks, and held their tiny hands...
...that they brought me joy, because they are joy.

5 comments:
Ok Rach, how come I cry every single time I read your posts?! You really need to think about a double major - journalism maybe? You have a gift for writing,and always a song to go along with it is such a nice touch. You really are the bomb.com. You are the youngest in the fam for a special reason, you just seem to observe, learn, and feel so much more from so many more. Think of all the people that love you.... let it be known that I was first! Love you Rach, and you are right, more than you know.
What a precious photo of the twins, that first one w/their names on it. Did you take that? You'll have to frame that one for Juls. You're so lucky to have been there to witness those two miracles. And you are right, moments like that are what fill our lives with such joy, the kind that sustain through all the ups and downs.
And...did you get a 4.0? Amazing. It's a good thing I married into your family because if I'd been born into it, I never would have lived up to the rest of you brainiacs.
Great post Rach! (Do I say that every time? Well, that's because they always are!)
Oh, they are so cute! and you are so good at writing and I would do anything to see you for 10 mins. Love you rach.
Yep just crying! They are my little miracles and I feel so blessed to have them here in our family. Thanks for being part of this all! I love you, and thanks for writing it all so beautiful!
I'm just about to start on some scrapbooking, and I was wondering if I could use your posts in my book. You know, the ones that apply. Maybe you should just publish a book. I would be crying throughout it though! I love you Rach!
Post a Comment