It’s never too late to be who you wanted to be.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Blues.

Today is monday.

Not just because my calendar says so. Not just because my alarm went off at 7:40 (which I then continued to snooze till 8:02...) for my 8:30 am class. And not just because my institute teacher started off with his usual "anybody do anything fun over the weekend" question that he does every monday (to which the usuals raise their hands and share pointless information no one really wants to know. Rude I know sorry...it's a side effect of... mondays).
I know today is monday because I can feel it. It's true. I'll admit....


I have the monday blues. 


You know, the ones that come when you have a headache of a week ahead and you aren't quite ready to start it. The blues that set in because you're lingering on thoughts of the weekend...wishing, hoping, praying it could last just a little bit longer. The ones that accompany a long list of to-do's that you still haven't done...an overwhelming desire for sleep that you know you'll never get...and a fridge full of nothing any real human being feels like eating. (Serious...who wants turkey slabs or a chunk of cheese?). Yep those ones.

And these monday blues are even worse. Because not only do I have the monday blues but I am also having another bloggers blah. (If you don't remember this....I'll remind you here.) 
I have so much I have wanted to blog about. So...so much to say.....yet I get overwhelmed at the thought of trying to say it all. You know what I mean? It's not that nothing great's happened to me....or that I have truly nothing on my mind. It's quite the opposite actually. I have too much to tell, too much that I want to share. So.... I guess this is my feeble attempt at an apology. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not sharing, not appreciating, and not recognizing as I should have. I am blessed. And I promise I'm grateful.

However, at the moment....I'm succumbing to my monday blues. First reason why....I'm in the library supposed to be outlining chapters 1-5 of my textbook. Doesn't sound so bad until I tell you that's 119 pages. Yeah....ouch. Second reason...I'm fighting my eyelids- and I mean seriously fighting them. And third reason...I just plain don't have the right words. I'll try. Honestly I will. But don't expect too much. After all...it is monday.
(I mean, they say a picture's worth a thousand words right? So here goes. Here's my thousand words....)

The top 5 highlights of my life....as of late.

#1. My two best friends had birthdays. First there's Annie...


Who I honestly can say has changed my life. She's the friend that knows me better then most people know themselves. She's the one who knows my favorite cereal and could describe any piece of clothing in my closet. She's the one who asks how I'm doing and waits to hear my answer. She calls me just to say I love you. She remembers the little things and is excited for the big things in my life. She's that phone call I can always make. Hers are the arms that are always open. Her smile is one that makes everything feel okay. And her laugh will forever echo in my ears as a sound of true happiness...and love. 
Thanks to her, my heart has been filled with love at times it was nearly broken. Thanks to her, my tears have been dried when I never thought they'd stop falling. Thanks to her, my day has been better when I thought it could never get worse. And thanks to her, my life has been forever blessed. Happy birthday Anniebear. 

Next, there's Jon....

Who quite honestly has been an anchor unlike any other in my life. He has seen me through some of the most difficult and most rewarding times. He's been there when all I needed was a listening ear. He's felt my pain when I thought I was all alone. He's been a comfort on nights I thought the sun would never rise. He's made me laugh when....well let's be honest. He always makes me laugh. We have fun together.   And I couldn't of asked for a better friend. Thanks for being you JB. Thanks for all the fun memories. Thanks for being such a big part of my life. You truly are changing me for the better. Day. By. Day.

#2. I got a package from a far away friend....


...Why is that cool you might be wondering? Well sometimes we have friends. Friends who understand us in ways no one else could. Ones who will be crazy with us when we feel like being crazy. Ones who we could talk with for hours on end and never run out of things to say. Ones we never feel awkward with. Ones we'd trust our secrets with, and never worry what they'd say behind our backs. Ones who bring the best out in us. 
Well at least I do. And he...


...happens to be far, far away. And I mean far as in 5500 miles away. And I got a package from that friend. Which happens to be...a pretty big deal.

#3. I had a talk with a best friend that broadened my perspective, and strengthened my trust in God.


#4. I took a much needed rollerskating night after a week of too many papers, and too much reading...



#5. And last but not least, I spent a weekend with the world's greatest parents... 





...and I wouldn't have traded it for the world. I've always known I have great parents. Not just because everyone and their dog has told me of the amazing impact they've made on their lives...but because of the examples they've been to me. 
Growing up you don't always appreciate your parents the way you do as you get older. At least I didn't. I mean what kid is going to say "gee mom, thanks for helping me learn how to clean by having me do the dishes.." or "hey dad, thanks for making me go on trek so I could gain a greater testimony and appreciation for the pioneers." Yeah...not me. But that's normal (at least I hope it is...). As a child and a teen parents are there to be parents. (Shocking right?) They aren't there to be your best friends. They are there to teach you. To help guide you in the direction you need to be going.

But when you get older, that changes. (I know, all of my siblings are thinking, older? You'll always be 9 years old in my mind. Or, older? You're only 19. But you'll all just have to trust me on this one...) I've learned a lot from my parents. They've taught me all kinds of lessons. They've helped mold me into the person I am becoming. 

But that's not what I want to focus on. Because those are things that most parents do. 

And my parents aren't like most parents. 

My parents are different. 

They taught me all they could, but then they let me go. They let me experience things on my own. They gave me independence to use the things they taught me and become something great. And for that I am grateful. Because my parents have become my best friends. 

So, spending a weekend with them wasn't a hassle. It wasn't an inconvenience. It was incredible. It was exciting. We got ice cream, we laughed. I showed them my apartment, my school. They were interested in my life because they love me. And they cared enough to show it. 

So thank you mom and dad. Thank you for not just teaching me, but for stepping back and watching me learn on my own. I am who I am because of you. And if I could be half of the person you both are, it would truly be a miracle.

And there you have it folks. There's my top 5. I'll blog again soon....and it'll be a lot better. I promise.

As for now, Minority Families in the United States is calling my name. Ugh. What kind of title is that? I'm bored already.

Happy monday. 

7 comments:

Lauren said...

K this made my monday blues feel purple! And vibrant. Mostly number 2!!!! Package from friend! Why didnt you tell me?! wish i knew what was in that package.. haha.
Also, monday blues arent so bad because good ol bachelor is on mondays. So thats one good thing? K love you!!!

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Annie said...

Loved this Ray Ray! Thanks for the shout out! I miss the late night chats, calling you at weird hours, eating together (who knows maybe even turkey slabs & cheese).. or i could go for rio right now. let's be honest. i love you too much & miss you lots and lots. also, so fun to have your parents come up! where did you guys get ice cream? looks so good! (as you can tell i miss american food. sue me) hahaha
well i love you, and thought this update was perfect!

Grapefruit said...

At least you went roller skating! That might have cheered me up too.

And I agree. Your parents ARE pretty great.

Hang in there. Only three more mornings till Saturday...

xoxo

kenzis said...

amen to the blues. Play date soon.

Nield Family said...

Okay that wasn't a writers blah or block whatever you want to call it! SO good, and I laughed out loud when you said you would always be nine! So funny and inspiring. . .thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see you soon!!

Katie said...

Ugh I totally know how you feel - Mondays are SO hard. But you of course whip up a perfect post! I loved the update! You look beautiful in every picture and I'm jealous that your parents went up to visit you! I need to do that ASAP :):)