It’s never too late to be who you wanted to be.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Sisterhood

Once upon a time, I lived in a house full of siblings, pets, new toys, bunk beds, Saturday cartoons, cream of wheat on late Sunday nights, hours of family games and all sorts of excitement. Once upon a time, I was a little girl with a big imagination. I was Cinderella, Julia Roberts, a veterinarian, a beautician, a ballerina- a dreamer. I shared a room with a cruel big brother, but I was content to play with my barbies alone on my shelf, for hours. I never knew just how much alone time I would get. I never knew that I would wish for the complete chaos that comes with a houseful of kids. I never knew that I would no longer be able to s k i p down the hall and sit on my sisters' floors, beds, or crawl into their laps. I never knew I wouldn't be able to sit cuddled up with my sisters and brothers as our mom read us Christmas stories. No, I never dreamed of my perfect life changing. I didn't know what the word change meant. I was an innocent 6 year old eager to grow up. Eager to wear the pretty makeup and own the millions of clothes my sisters did. It seemed like nothing came fast enough. I was always wishing I was older. Little did I know that someday I would be begging for those days back. L O N G I N G to be that careless little girl sharing secrets and making memories with her best friends: her sisters. However....I am not little girl anymore.

Now I am almost 18 years old, and preparing to leave this house full of memories. Getting ready to step out into the real world, all by myself. Now, my sisters are far from home, OUR home, and have homes of their own. And Now, it is almost my turn. But the thing about sisters is that no matter how far we are from each other, we are still best friends. I may not be able to walk down the hall and crawl into their laps for bedtime stories, but I can call them and talk for hours. I know my sisters are always here. And that is one thing that no one can take from me. No matter how far away we are, no matter how crazy our lives may get, we share a bond. A bond that can't come from anywhere else.

It is called Sisterhood.




8 comments:

Lisa Marie Crosby said...

Ok so cute... make me cry, well of course! Those old pics are hilarious, I want to see more! Love you so much sis, glad we are only 30 min apart!

Sunshine Day said...

Oh rach, that was so sweet. I actually long for all that chaos! Thanks for this post. It is nice to know that the people I miss most miss me. Come visit me at the beach I need my rachie time!

Nield Family said...

Wow you really can write, you are one of my bestest friends forever!!

Rachel said...

and that is beauty of it haha, all my sisters commented on my sisterhood post. proved my point. love you all, girls trip NEEDS to happen asap. if not i guess ill just head to the beach :) (that was for you mushy)

Mary Ellen said...

Rachel you are darling. A very clever writer and you are so good in arranging the pictures. What a fun thing to do to keep in touch with all your sisters and friends. You've got great talent. Keep it up. How do I stay on your blog past the 30 day trial? Let me know. Love Grandma Hanks.

Grapefruit said...

Rachel, look at you, a professional blogger! You are a great writer! I loved these pictures and I can soooooo relate to being the youngest sister. And how can you be this old? I swear, time has gone by way too fast. I'm so glad you are my sister-in-law, you are the best and i love you!

Rachel said...

thanks grandma, it really has been so fun to connect with my family i love it! and i'm not sure what the 30 day trial is..we will have to take a look at that!

Rachel said...

thanks becs, it really is crazy i can't believe I am this old either!! Getting ready for college is definately making me realize that! And I'm not a professional blogger...I am trying to improve on the posting though so thank you, :). I love you thanks so much for the comment! You're the best sister in law!