Yes, I know....it sounds crazy, but honestly I love my job. And let me tell you why.
Tonight, I discovered another reason why it is so wonderful. I mean, I have always loved my job. I am a nanny. What could be better? I get to take care of two young boys. The oldest, Ashton, is 12 years old and in 7th grade. Just beginning those rough Jr. High years we all hated. He is a talkative, energetic kid who loves lacrosse and hates piano...(as once again, I can probably speak for most in saying that anyone who took piano as a child, did not enjoy it either.) The youngest is Tenny. He is 10 years old, and in 4th grade. He loves scouts, and soccer, and his new found love is the recorder. (...they are learning it for their christmas program next friday.) He is shy, and rather kept to himself. Nonetheless, when you get him talking about something he loves, he is still the typical 10 year old little boy anxious and wrapped up in the joys of childhood. And I love the both of them.
Even when Ashton calls me in the middle of my workout because he stayed afterschool to finish a typing lesson and needs a ride to tutoring...
Or even when Tenny doesn't know what they are doing for scouts, but conveniently remembers they are going to smiths as soon as we arrive at the abandoned church...and then once again conveniently remembers it "doesn't start till 4:15 today" when we are sitting in the scoutless parking lot of smiths. Causing us to journey back to where we started.
And even when I sit anxiously on the freeway in rush hour traffic to get Ashton to a birthday party at classic skating...on time. (A round trip of over an hour.)
Yes, I still love them. Because they remind me how simple life really is. I can leave the house stressed from college applications, scholarship deadlines, homework to be done, christmas presents to buy...and forget all of that when I see these two bright faces everyday.
The spotlight is no longer on me and my worries, but instead I become engrossed with interest in the new notes Tenny learned on the recorder today. Or, how Mr. Tominoga let Ashton play on his computer today in math, making himself the coolest teacher ever!
So maybe I get caught in traffic when I have a million things to do, but inside my car that doesn't matter. Because I am listening to a little boy tell me his worries...how he doesn't know how he'll ever survive the night; from a birthday party at 5:30-8, to basketball practice at 9, and then somehow getting home to bed- he was swamped.
But tonight...I discovered another reason.
I would be happy just to experience all of that.
But there's even more to my dream job, I get all of this......as well. wow.I repeat:
I love my job.
It’s never too late to be who you wanted to be.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
My journey to meet Mr. Franklin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Yes you do have the perfect job! Probably won't ever be like that again! Christmas Spirit!
I know right? Sheesh. Love it while it lasts though.
There might only be one thing better than your job, taking care of baby Mary. Think about it, you could take her to the mall, pretend she is yours, and pick up on guys. And then, on top of all that, we will give you a huge stack of hugs and kisses.
Let the idea marinate
Ok, they really just give you hundred dollar bills?!
haha no not usually, usually its a check..but i lucked out this time :)
Post a Comment