But, don't worry, there is still hope. Because now, I have something I am ready to write about. Something a little different from my other Christmas posts.
Something called change.
Christmas change.
This year I wasn't surrounded by my entire family. A lot were missing.
There was (sadly) only one row of Christmas lights on our house.
I didn't compete in a girls vs. boys gingerbread house making contest.
I didn't make snow angels with my nieces and nephews.
I didn't bake cookies for Santa, or even leave carrots for his reindeer.
I didn't stay up late painting my nails and laughing with my older sisters.
This year was different. This was my first year being the only one who didn't have in-laws to go to (Ahem...not that I was wishing in any way I had somewhere else to be- but it was a little weird being the only single one left...).
It was my first year not picking out and decorating the Christmas tree.
Needless to say, it was a year of firsts.
A year of change.
And, since I vowed to never be anything less than truthful with you, I have to admit it wasn't easy.
I missed those little bits of Christmas magic I didn't get to be a part of this year.
I missed my family.
But some how, some way it was still okay. Christmas still came, and was still just as bright and exciting as ever. Because Christmas isn't just about delicious treats and contests, or bright lights and white snow. It means more.
Christmas is about Christ. About that loley night in Bethlehem. The night our Savior entered the world. And that will never change.
And although I didn't have all my brothers and sisters there, it didn't make the ones who were any less special. In fact, it tripled my gratitude. And as I layed in bed on Christmas Eve, I discovered something important. Something I'd never thought of before.
I'm sure they all would have loved to be here. But I wasn't the only one who wanted them to come home for Christmas.
There was another sister just like me who was excitedly awaiting their arrival.
There was a family of little ones who were so grateful to have their dad home for Christmas.
There was another grandma who was thrilled to see her grandchild.
And I'm pretty sure there were 4 grateful parents who didn't have to pack up half of their life, as well as all their kids to make the trek home. (Which believe me, I would not be excited to do either...)
So yes this Christmas was a little different. But it was just as magical as ever.
There were lights...
Treats..
The nativity...
And moments like this...
Oh yeah...and ones like this...
So when all is said and done...I may not have heard sleigh bells jingling as I layed in bed Christmas Eve, but I was filled with the true magic of Christmas. I was reminded that nothing could ever truly separate me and my family. Especially not at Christmas time. Because no matter where we were, we were united by one thing. And that was the gift of Christ's love. A gift that no one will ever return, one that will always fit, and will continue giving year after year after year.




2 comments:
Where is the picture of you in your swimsuit and the grass skirt? Missed that one. Yeah it was a year of change, and I missed you so much. Really can't wait to welcome the new year with you at my house!
What?!? No flaming rice pudding? What gives?! Were there orange rolls at least? And why do you start serving creme brulee when I'm not there? RUDE.
Great pics of the temple at night. That place always makes Christmas feel even more magical. We went to the lights here at the Mesa temple. Not quite the same...
Great post, as always, Rach.
Post a Comment