It’s never too late to be who you wanted to be.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Parr Brown and the Clanking Keyboard.

Dear....blog? No. Dear readers? Don't think I have too many of those. Dear self? That just sounds weird.
Dear...
Well, I'll leave it at that.

Dear ,
It's been a while. Okay, a long while. Okay fine. It's been forever. Too long. I'm sorry.
Want a ten second summary/list of excuses?
Finals. Quick weekend to St George. Finals. Packing my entire room. Finals. Cleaning my entire apartment. Moving out. Moving back in...only two hours away. Unpacking. Wedding. And now? Work.
Ugh. Yuck. Yes I said work. No, not work as in the neighborhood snow shack. Or babysitting. Or even a few hours at the grocery store. Work as in 8:30 to 5:00.
E v e r y
. Single. Day.
Except Saturdays, and of course, Sundays. It's jaw clenching, head spinning, clock tickingingly merciless.
I know my employer as "Parr Waddops Brown Gee & Loveless" however, now it's changed a million times because "so and so" became a judge and "so and so" retired.
Yet, here I am- at the start of a new day.
Yes I am the only one here on the entire floor with only the air vents and a pile of paper clips to keep me company. Pat (the terrifyingly intimidating attorney I work for) won't be in till who knows what hour- if she comes in at all. Megan (Cute girl training me) has too many hours and won't be in for another half hour at least. Janet's (Secretary across the cubicle from me) desk remains vacant, while she browses through wedding invitation designs and tastes a dozen different kinds of cake with her daughter. Even Jeff Snow's (the attorney's office next to Pat's) phone is silent- no conference calls or stressed attorney's voices floating from his office. His lights are off. And he is no where to be seen.
But yes. I am still here. 8:30 sharp.
So I sit. Wishing I could post pictures, or a fun story, or....something. Anything. But instead, I listen to the clanking (and I seriously mean clanking- these computers/keyboards are from 1975...) of the keys as my fingers brush across the surface longing to write something of importance. Something exciting. Something fresh.
But there is nothing fresh or even exciting about working at a law firm. Ask my dad...or my brother. Not sure what they find so fascinating about Litigations and Pleadings, but I guess that's why I'm here. I have always been meant for corporate...

That's all for now. But I promise Ill write again. Soon.
Sincerely yours,
Rachel.

5 comments:

Sunshine Day said...

Rachel, I feel your pain, or so well. So many days sitting at that place wishing I was doing something I cared about :) But i did LOVE downtown in the spring/summer... wish I was there to make you laugh, or to have you make me laugh! Love you!

Becky H. said...

Hey Rach, it stinks to grow up sometimes huh? Oh the lazy days of summer, laying out, swimming, boating, shopping, slurpies, oh at least you have good memories of all that... Here's to fun on your off hours... love you! P.S. I am so proud of you, you can make an interesting blog out of a totally boring day!

Grapefruit said...

WHAT???? Nothing exciting happens working a law firm? C'mon Rach! How can you say that? Just look where it took Matt! And Michelle! And not to mention Matt and I probably wouldn't be married today if it weren't for his stint as runner at the old Parr Brown Gee And Loveless...all those Geneva runs which ended at my house for a quick (or not so quick) hello...

Hang in there. If you're bored, you can always call me. I know you won't. But you could text me. I might even text you back...

Lisa Marie Crosby said...

Ah. I know how it is being inside. At least you didn't have to stare at the snow on the ground while you sat inside. Just be glad that the weather is crappy, it's even harder when it's not. But then again, that big fat paycheck will totally be worth it! I told you that you were meant to be corporate! Love you Rach!

Mary + Trey said...

You are a working woman.. it all pays off in the end