An itch.
And I am so gonna scratch it.
I haven't had a blogging itch in a while. And oddly... I love these itches.
And beware. I'm in one of those moods. (No no no, put the tissues away. Not a philosophical one. I know. Phew!)
One of these moods....
I am mid-room-clean. Sitting on an inside-out tee shirt in fact. My bed's unmade. Shoes, plastic bags, a backpack that needs unpacking, and the hood of my coat sit on the floor next to me.
My calendar still says December 2011. #justrippeditdownandrealizedineedanewone. #ihavenomoney. #poorcollegestudent
A broken picture frame lies untouched and unfixed on top of my printer.
A tried-and-with a turned up face-re-wrapped chocolate sucker sits on my desk. It's sick. You would've too. Trust me.
Oh yeah. And my bed head Shimmer Bronze Shake-It Loose Powder For Face & Body sits right next to that. Hand me down from my oldest sister's mission. She's 11 years older than me. And..she's been home for 7 years. But it's still almost 3/4th's the way full. So we're good.
How late is too late to give a wedding gift? #justgaveonetomyfriendwhogotmarriedoneyearago (p.s.. if you don't understand #hashtags... you should probably look that one up. AKA: twitter. And maaaaaaaaaybe ask around. Becuase. Well. They're kind of taking over... everything these days. Trust me.. I'm a kid in the 20th century)
Oh and how old is too old for pictures posted around your room? Mine are going on 10 months. Time for an update?
I love Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. #thanksanniebear.
I'm in a #hashtag mood. If you couldn't tell. And I haven't decided if I actually enjoy #hashtags or if I enjoy #hashtags just to make fun of #hashtags #tweeter #Iknowtweeterfans-it'ssupposedtobe'twitter'. And if this is all way over your head...don't worry. I hear "it's a twitter thing." And I don't have twitter. Nor will I ever. Just FYI.
Anyways.
You know what else I love?
Good deals. #shoes@tjmaxxfor$24,normally$96.
Space heaters. #sorrydarlaIoweyou50bucks #lovecollegeapartments
Washing my face at night. #IfeeldirtywheneverItryandweareyeshadow
Down comforters. #garagesale8bucks #booyahgrandma
Oh yeah. And Christmas. #qualityfamilytime #uglysweaterpartieswhereIgettobeuglyANDcoolatthesametime #muddybuddies3timesthisseason
Okay. Phew. Done with the #hashtags. Becauseit'sreallyannoyingtonottypewithanyspaces. So...adios amigo. #nohableespagnol. #I'mdoneIswear.
But all jokes and #hashtags and tweeters aside, I love holidays. All of them. Even (let me grab my planner and search for a random one....) groundhog day. There's a good one.
This holiday season... rocked. So hard. So crazy. But so fun. And not just because I had that one guy to share it with. You know the one. But also... because I got to see them...
I know. And we are still missing six.
I spent so many nights sitting at my kitchen counter with my siblings gathered round listening to my worries. Validating my fears. Creating solutions. And celebrating in my joys. (Too many big words? Sorry.. I just really meant them!)
This time of life can be rough. And really, really confusing. It can hurt. Definitely. But it can be fun. With the right people. And fulfilling. And actually exciting.
And today.. I'm grateful for those right people in my life.
(Yep. I just transformed. Philosophical mode here I come. Maybe it was the bowl [and a half] of Special K I just downed? After the chicken/potato/cornbread dinner. And 4 oreos n'milk. And peanut butter cup?)
I'm grateful for a dad that takes time to make me laugh. Who hugs me when I stand next to him. And plays with my hair when he comes up behind me.
I'm blessed to have a mom that makes my life important. And makes a place for me in hers. Who laughs at my seriously-not-funny jokes. And would give anything to see me happy.
I'm thankful for a sister with wisdom way beyond my years. Who knows just what to say, and exactly when to say it.
I'm lucky to have a niece that makes me excited to get her out of bed after her nap. Because she is just as excited to see me too.
I appreciate the fact that I have a best friend/boyfriend (I know I know. But not in that "look how cool I am because I have a boyfriend" sort of way, or that "my boyfriend's cooler than your boyfriend" kind of way...we'll leave that to the lame tee shirts.) who is willing to stick around when times get tough. Who knows me well enough to care when something's wrong. And does anything to make it right.
I'm thrilled I have the chance to live my life as me and no one else. I'm thrilled I can write to express myself. And read to imagine a life beyond my own.
I'm overwhelmed by the fact I truly can ignite change.
I'm changed by the people I've met and the places I've seen across the world.
I'm broken by the poverty. The pain. And the heartbreak of so many souls in that distant land that forever holds a part of my heart. Yet I'm overjoyed by the bright faces I still see if I close my eyes.
But most of all, I'm here. Right here. Talking to you. Writing for me. Rolling my eyes at the #hashtags and tweets, the status updates and the text tones. Yet I checked facebook twice today. Irony at it's finest.
No but seriously, I mean that. I'm right where I need to be. I know that. I feel that.
And you are too. But if you're not, and you know you're not.. get there. It's so worth it. I promise.
Because once you're there, all the tears, the hurt, the pain, the laughter, the smiles, and the memories will mean something. They will be molding you just the way they were meant to. For just the right reason. So that you end up, as just the right person you were always meant to become.

Thank you Mother Teresa. You're an inspiration to us all.
Off to play Wacky Six,
R.
Oh yeah p.s.... tomorrow is my first day of school. I feel the paper due date hanging over my shoulders already. Where's the chocolate brownies? No no no. Scratch that. Muddy buddies.
Over and out.
3 comments:
haha! NO MORE MUDDIE BUDDIES. You didn't even eat any of the TWO batches you made at the cabin because I think I single-handedly polished off the entire first bag. I LOVE THOSE, but I hate them, I really don't have any sense of control. Holidays were so much fun, although I still feel like I didn't get to see you all that much. It's not fair that all of those talks happen at midnight after I have gone home. I guess I better just move back to moms.
How's that paper comin? Yeah!!
-Lisa
Yea well Lisa, I live at home and miss most of the talks so don't feel bad. But I am just the mom and who needs mom advice when you can have sister's, lets be honest. Haha.
Rach, love your writing, seriously. It was a great holiday and so fun to have you around as much as we did. I mean its always hard to share you with the rest of the world, but we loved every second you were home. This pretty much sums it up... Whenever anyone would come in the door the first question was always, "Where's Rach?" Love you babe and hats off to muddy buddys. Seriously I ate more than I ever have in my life just sitting at the table talking to you and D.J. Good times, good times. Miss you. Glad you are loving the college life, homework, crossfit, studying, papers, cooking, etc. etc.etc. You are the bomb and I loved the quote. I needed that one today, thanks.
I'm with you on the peanut butter cups. I bought a reeses heart bag for our apartment and then realized annie hates them. #sad
Post a Comment