It triggers that hidden spot deep down inside of me.
The one that craves creativity. Variety. Uniqueness. And emotion.
The one that surfaces when I write.
And sometimes late at night.
The one I wish would surface every day. Yet not at the same time.
Because then it would lose it's light. It wouldn't be as... intriguing.
It wouldn't send me chasing after it, yearning to feel it's power in my chest as my fingers rapidly move to keep up.
The one that limits me from writing whenever I want.
Because it requires a trigger. Something to jolt me out of reality for just a moment. Just a sliver of time to watch as the lenses on my eyes adjust, and expand ever so slightly.
Broadening my horizon.
Focusing my priorities.
Then spitting me right back into life.
Just. a. little. bit. different. than. before.
And today, that trigger lies deep within my veins pumping emotion throughout my entire body.
Thank you Christina Perry.
Because that just opened the best day of my life.
8.28.12.
Sometimes I sit in wonder that it came. Was here. And left.All in a matter of blinks.
I remember the night before like it was yesterday.
I remember driving to our wedding dinner, and the countless faces of friends and family.
I remember the hearts of those I held closest, filled with emotion that night.
I remember the drive home. The surreal feeling of the next morning.
I remember my last kiss goodnight as Rachel Henriksen. A small tear threatening escape from my lashes.
I remember closing the door with butterflies and knots all at the same time.
I remember the feeling as I was wrapped in the love of my siblings and parents while they gave me words of advice. And pure, utmost wisdom.
They looked into the eyes of their baby. And I looked into the eyes of my heroes. Each a part of me. A very real, defining part of me.
I remember laying in bed. Staring at the ceiling. Breathing in. And breathing ouuuuuuuuuuuuutttttt. Closing my eyes. And saying goodnight to the world as I knew it for the last time.
And then, it began.
My alarm went off, and I didn't snooze (Believe me- that never happens).
The shower felt like a thousand kisses on my skin as I stood in wonder at the day ahead.
Angels surrounded me. Doing my hair. Doing my makeup. Making me breakfast. Capturing pivotal moments. Telling me I looked beautiful in those perfect three-year-old ways. Smiling at me. Giving me hugs. And kisses.
They primped and pampered. Comforted. Assured....and reassured. Complimented. Validated. Calmed. And loved.
I will never forget those angels. You know who you are.
Before I knew it I was out the door, on my way to be eternally sealed to the man I love most.
What?!
That. Was. Unreal.
Yet so, incredibly comforting.
My eyes met his from across the street and my world was quiet. (Seriously. Like that slow-mo moment in every chick flick)
He smiled that crooked smile I love. And I smiled it right back.
It was here. We made it.
No more planning. No more we'll never make it's. No more emails, mailed checks, and ribbon tying.
This was us. Our time. Our day.
Mmmm. That hug was exhilarating. The butterflies hit... And we. were. pumped.
The next hour was whirlwind and the next thing I knew I was sitting with my hubby to be, hand in hand, on a couch in one of the most beautiful rooms I have ever seen. Feeling completely at peace. (My hands were freezing. And I think my entire body was shaking. Yet, peaceful nonetheless.)
I will never forget looking into the blue eyes of my best friend and committing to love him for eternity. And hearing him commit right back.
Ever.
The hours flew quickly and faces came and went.
We cut the cake.
We danced.
And danced.
And danced.
My smile wore on, and so did his.
Our eyes spoke an understanding only we could share.
And our hands stayed clasped.
Things went wrong I'm sure.
I could've done things different. Better maybe.
I could've changed things.
Tried harder.
But so many more went right, that nothing else mattered.
I was there, with my husband.
My one and only. My other half.
I can't express enough the love we felt that night.
The support that does, and will continue to, boid us up when our days get tough.
Smiles so genuine I can't help but remember.
People came from all over. They sacrificed for me, for us. They forgave the little things. And remembered the big.
It was perfect.
He was my knight in shining armor.
And still is.
He has my heart.
And I have his.
And we will cling to that as long as... well... forever.
So thank you.
Thank you to all those who came. Participated. Loved. Laughed. And shared our big day. Yes, I'm talking to you. Every bit of me loves every bit of you. Your sacrifice and hard work to be there celebrating with us, will never be forgotten.
Thank you for loving me throughout the years.
For who I really am.
Thanks for listening when my heart feels like sharing.
And not judging me.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
And most of all, thanks D. For being my better half. For forgiving me when I fall short. And appreciating when I try. Thanks for loving me no matter the season. For being my safe place. And letting me be yours.
Here's to an eternity together,
R.



5 comments:
Beautiful Rachel. Your writing is exquisite. It was such a treasured moment to be with you those few days. You were (and are!) a stunning bride. Matt and I are so happy for you. Thank you for inviting us to be part of your sacred day. Love you more than you know.
B
Oh my Rachie...I don't quite know how to put my feelings in writing quite yet, I'm not nearly as adept as you when it comes to that. But my heart is overwhelmingly happy for you. All summer with every flower I planted and every weed I pulled and every other thing that we did to prepare for that big day I kept thinking:"I just want Rachel to be happy". My wish was granted, my baby was happy, my family was all there to see it and share it and feel it. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for walking in truth and bringing me such joy. The loneliness of your leaving home is washed away by the smiles I see in your and Dave's faces. And that is how God meant for it to be. He too knows the feeling. With your bff by your side you can make it through anything life gives you. And your momma will never stop praying for her baby. Love you sweetie. Glad we're going to be together forever, you and Dave have made us complete. Thank you.
chills! such a fun and beautiful day. those pictures are amazing!!!! I need to see more! love you and hope to see you soon mrs. jackson!
So so happy for you Rach!! You & Dave are way too perfect. And this post is amazing! Love you!
It was perfect and so were you! Amazing words. I.Love.reading.your.writing. It was the perfect ending to a perfect summer for me... except now you don't live with me and we don't hang out everyday. But you will never know how much I cherish the time with you. You changed me. Love you RAY RAY
Post a Comment